Sunday, March 22, 2009

Cougars don't cut corners

From my time at UCF:

So, today I walked across the grass on campus with a smug sense of satisfaction. My building is right next to the parking garage, but the sidewalk does not cut a direct path; it kinda sneaks over at right angles instead of just making a diagonal beeline for my office (inconsiderate sidewalk builders). While I see other people cutting through the grass (and really, it's an aggrandizing stretch to call it such. Florida doesn't have grass; we have greenish weeds of various colors that make their hetrogenous way across open spaces, mostly covering the ground. Or in really ritzy areas, you have this astroturf looking stuff that feels... wrong... in some unfathomable, turning the world on its end way), I can't walk on the grass becauseI couldn't while I was at BYU. Each and every time I did--I think it was twice--I got the speech from one or more pedestrians that "cougars don't cut corners," --the cougar is the mascot-- referring, no doubt, to the fact that BYU is known for its moral code and general uprightness (as my friend pointed out today, however, cougars do in fact cut corners. Wildcats don't follow clearly designated walking areas). So, I felt a little naughty, like I was getting away with something, as I made my precarious way through the grass, avoiding things like small holes and squirrels. But it felt good. And I think I will do it again.

No comments: