Saturday, August 1, 2009

July

So, July was apparently a total loss for blogging. I guess I didn't have much interaction n with the church during that time, or nothing incensed me too much. Oh, except for two things:

#1)
I went to a ward party. And OMG are those things dour or what??!? My brother had made dutch oven brisket, and the only way I could have some is if I followed him down the street to the park. There were cars lining up and down the street. One of the men in the bishopric had a hat with a fan built in. God, those are awful.

I didn't socialize. I got my food and sat by my family. I am still falling under the radar, after my brother told the first counselor that I think I am an agnostic. I hope that being left alone holds.

#2)
There was an incident in the church plaza where two homosexual men kissed and got thrown out of the plaza. It is fine to have private property where you dictate everyone's actions; but then it cannot be a public thouroughfare. I just want the church to make up its mind. It's just more bad press for mormonism.

3 comments:

Joe said...

So this is really o/t, but I noticed that you are an elementary teacher in Utah. My wife is going to be graduating in December. What do you think the possibility of getting an elementary teaching job midyear will be in SLC? She isn't ESL endorsed, but speaks fluent Spanish (native speaker).

So when are you ever going to actually slip into atheism? =)

lisslalissar said...

I'm not really an elementary school teacher here. I have taught elementary school, and I have taught in Utah, but not at the same time. Having clarified that, it is hard to get a job mid-year. Her best bet would be to get substituting jobs in as many districts as possible so that when she DOES apply or CAN apply, people will already know and love her. Also, if she is a sub, she has a better chance of getting those mid-year jobs due to the regular teacher being unable to finish out the year.

I wish I had better news, but I wish her luck. And I don't know that I'll ever be an atheist; it sounds too much like the "I know" of mormonism. I don't KNOW god doesn't exist.... it just seems awfully unlikely.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the great advice. I had not that about creating an "in" via substitute teaching. I will let her know for sure. By the way, if she were to sub at each district in SLC, do you think she would be able to pick up 5 days a week most weeks?

Regarding atheism: Even as a self-pronounced atheist, I cannot speak on behalf of all atheists for obvious reasons. Having said that, I have never met an atheist IRL or online that professes to "know" that god does not exist in the same sense that a mormon claims to "know" that god does exist. They have simply weighed the evidence and have found that the greater weight of evidence lends towards a disbelief in deity.

As such, the disbelief in god is really just a well-founded belief based on evidence. In fact every atheist (including myself) is happy to concede that they would be willing to change their mind on the matter if presented with compelling evidence.

For those reasons, I personally find an important distinction between a believer's supposed "knowledge" rooted in "faith" (superstition and feelings), and an atheist's belief rooted in empiricism.